Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ticktock, Stop the Clock

Help me, God, to slow down, to be silent, So I can hear You and do Your will and not mine.
"Marian Wright Edelman"

You have many responsibilities- so many, in fact you sometimes wonder how you will accomplish everything. Life feels like a whirlpool of activities as you press more tasks into fewer hours. Deep inside, you know a more restful pace is God's desire for you, but you're not sure how to slow down. the key is to pray, seeking God's wisdom about how to best use your time. Then begin to make changes. As you do, you will experience a more leisurely schedule and calmer spirit, as well as discover the simplicity you so desire.

Anna's days were frenzied from the get go. Early mornings, she raced to do some housework- a pile of laundry started, the dishwasher unloaded. Then she got breakfast, took her kids to school, began ab hour-long commute to the office. It was just as hectic for her after work. Anna began to pray, asking God to help her make wise choices about her schedule. She cut back a little bit at work and asked her family to pitch in more around the house. When new opportunities came up, she said no more often. Over time, her efforts to slow down paid off. She felt more rested physically and more rested spiritually, too.

Share with God your desire to do all that he requires of you-and to do it well. Then ask him what tasks he does not have for you. Perhaps you head up two committees but have time for only one. Maybe you bring work home that you could leave at the office. Perhaps your children are involved in too many extracurricular activities, or you could save time by consolidating errands or delegating tasks. God cares about even the smallest detail of our day, so trust him to help you. Be assured that he desires rest for you, taking to heart the words of Psalm 46:10. "Be still, and know that I am God".

As you pray to the lord and have faith in his guidance, your life will become less hurried. You will slow down and discover a calm, restful spirit as you love a simpler life.

Final Thoughts
See God's wisdom as you as you consciously slow down, and you will experience a calmer, more peaceful spirit.

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.
"Genesis 2:2"
He will whisper...to us not in the mad rush and fever of our striving and our fierce determination to be someone, but rather when we are content to rest in him.
"Emilie Griffin"

I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.
"Psalm 131:2"

I need to slow down. And I'm asking the Lord to help me do it. I want to move slowily enough to be aware of all the joys He has hidden for me. I want to slow down enough to grow as He wants me to grow. I want to be quiet enough to har HIs voice. I need His wisdom to know how to spend my time and how to order my days.
"Karthryn Hillen"

No comments: